Friday, May 1, 2009

Raku Bowl

I LOOOOOOVE this bowl! Doing the Raku firing last night was a lot of fun! I was such a little kid while waiting to see the bowl (had a huge cheesy grin on my face). It was such a neat process, I really wish I had had my camera with me. When we opened the kiln the pots were glowing this awesome orange/red, probably one of the coolest things I've seen! Then the teacher pulled them out with tongs and threw them into the trash cans filled with newspaper and pine needles. The cans then lit on fire and we threw the lids on top to seal out anymore oxygen (so that reduction could take place). After about 20 minutes of antsy pacing (after the trash cans stopped smoking) I reached in with the tongs and pulled out my bowl. Then to cool it down, I dunked it into a bucket of cold water *sizzle sizzle*. I think it's one of my favorites for sure! I liked it so much that I glazed another one to Raku next tuesday =-) 

The other one pictured below is one I got back from the kiln last night. Its my first attempt at making a chopstick rest. 

Whatya think?? (the pictues don't do them justice as all I have is my iphone to take photos with)


Have a great weekend! I hope tomorrow is nice so I can go to Neptunes Net in Malibu!



No comments:

Post a Comment